Monday, September 27, 2010

Coffee Coffee Coffee

So I'm currently sitting in the Bean sipping my delicious iced vanilla latte and desperately trying to avoid writing my Public Health Community Assessment. I finished off my first latte just as Anna walked in to come study with me, and she bought me another one. Ha. That's right friends, I am on coffee #2 and I haven't even been here for 30 minutes. In the past couple of days I have come to a realization---I am addicted to coffee. For real. There are many things that have caused my increased consumption of coffee lately including, but not limited to early morning classes, even earlier morning clinicals, and lots and lots of late nights of studying. I have been getting headaches around 2 or 3 in the afternoon if I haven't had coffee yet :-/ So naturally, I just drink coffee and then feel fine...but this viscous cycle continues. Just when I was beginning to think that this is probably a bad thing, I came across some interesting info on www.webmd.com. Allow me to enlighten you:

*Harvard researchers have calculated that compared to not drinking coffee, downing 1-3 cups of caffeinated coffee daily can significantly reduce your risk of diabetes.
*At least 6 studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's Disease.
*Some research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least 2 cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer.
*There is some evidence that coffee may help manage asthma, stop a headache, boost mood, and even prevent cavities.

C'mon people, this is crazy! And if that's not enough to convince you to go grab a cup of joe, it also tastes darn good! I don't think I will ever get sick of my iced vanilla lattes :-)

Thinking my crazy love of coffee might not be so bad...
-Marissa

3 comments:

  1. No diabetes or colon cancer for you, pretty girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!!! Now I don't feel so bad about my coffee addiction :) Thanks, Baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many things to say, but I will let you enjoy your coffee instead. :)

    ReplyDelete